Friday, January 27, 2012

Michelle Rocked


I recently saw My Week With Marilyn, starring Michelle Williams as Marilyn Monroe. The film also stars a number of my favorite British actors, including Kenneth Branagh, Eddie Redmayne, Michael Kitchen from Foyle's War, and even Jim Carter (Mr. Carson from Downton Abbey). Others include Dame Judi Dench, Dominic Cooper, Toby Jones, Emma Watson, Miranda Raison (MI-5), and Julia Ormond. Dougray Scott from Scotland also gave a standout performance as Arthur Miller. Whew. There were so many, I probably left a few out. I so enjoyed seeing all these actors all together on the big screen. 

This film recreates the story of Marilyn's time in England filming a movie with Sir Laurence Olivier, based on the book by Colin Clark. Kenneth Branagh and Eddie Redmayne star as Sir Laurence and Clark, respectively. Williams is totally believable as Monroe in 1956. Get used to seeing Eddie Redmayne on screen in the next few years, because I think his unique face will be seen everywhere. What can one say about Branagh? He did his usual superb acting in this one. And I have been waiting for the next Wallender. 

The main reason to see this film, however, is Michelle Williams. She is beautiful and perfect and tragic. I thought I was watching Marilyn Monroe in the film and not Michelle Williams playing Marilyn Monroe. I could only feel sorry for how difficult this role must have been for her (pills). Michelle Williams also did her own singing in the film. And she can sing, too. Michelle rocked. 

2 comments:

  1. I had no interest in seeing this until I read your post. Now I want to see it before it leaves the big screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was skeptical about seeing this one, too, Thomas. But the show time and place was right for me that day. I was so happy to see all the great actors together, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome! Comments make it all more interesting . . .