Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Questions for Quinn


Notes from the Underwire: Adventures from My Awkward and Lovely Life is the new, humorous, first book by Quinn Cummings (child actor, inventor, blogger) and was recently released by Hyperion. To promote her hilarious creation, Quinn is doing a Blog Book Tour and one of her friends and fellow bloggers contacted me to participate. Since the tour has been going on for a while, I tried to formulate some non-repetitive questions for Quinn. I picked a random chapter entitled "Ye Olde Los Angeles" to read before posting today and was amused at Quinn's house hunting experience in the City of Angels. Here is a small sampling of Quinn's humor:


Or, finally, I could buy a house in need of repair in a neighborhood known for a lively mixture of the artsy and the gangtsy. As long as I wasn't absolutely tied to the idea of viable plumbing or a neighbor without a meth lab, I too could pursue the American dream within the city's borders.


Please pick up a copy of Notes from the Underwire at your favorite bookstore or you can order online by clicking here. Enjoy the following mini-interview:


I found your blog via one of your comments on Melissa C. Morris’ blog about six months ago and have been reading your posts since then. What genre of blog do you like to read the best? For example, style, preppy, book, travel, etc.?


I love reading about Melissa's travels, because when she travels it's like she has benign little fairies as advance-men, creating a seamless, flawless holiday. I can pretend like those are my holidays and forget how when I travel I have to hold the plane aloft with my fingernails and my terror, and then we get there and I fixate on whether I left the back door unlocked. I have a shameful love for Southern Preppy Mom-bloggers, the kind of women who are planning their Christmas picture in July and their daughter's sorority choice when she's en utero. Much like the kind Melissa, they just seem to be better at being an adult female than I am.


What are some of your favorite websites that are not blogs?


Thesartorialist.blogspot.com, because it's thrilling to watch people mix patterns correctly. http://icanhascheezburger.com/, because they're cats! And their spelling is abysmal! http://snopes.com/, to refute whatever alarmist email has just arrived in my mailbox. Really, would it kill them to check out whether the "Sick child asking for cards" email is, in fact, fifteen years old?


I follow you on Twitter and enjoy your use of uncommon words with definition and usage. How do you find/choose these words?


I have two books, "Reading the OED" and "Word Nerd," both of which are highly entertaining and I can recommend highly. What with the blogging book tour, I've been remiss for the past few days, but I'm still here to remind you that "Peristeronic" means "Suggestive of pigeons." You're welcome.


Do you watch TV? Do you watch any reality TV shows?


We're a "So You Think You Can Dance?" family, which inevitably leads to an overtired child tango-dancing with the cat until late into the night. But what else is summer for? I'm not proud to say that any "Real Housewives" which takes place on in the Eastern Standard Timezone wins my heart. And Consort and I love "The Big Bang Theory," because it's very funny and because he works in the tech sector and we know people like that.


Do you speak any foreign languages?


Used to speak some French. Spoke Spanish when I was very little. Now I'm just trying to keep my English from atrophying into a series of gargles.


Do you travel outside the U.S. very often? What is your favorite city outside the U.S.? Where would you like to travel if you could choose somewhere you’ve never been?


I'm not a happy traveller (See: Holding plane up, fixating on door-locks), so I haven't been outside the US since I was 15, I am chagrined to say. Actually, I'm fine with saying it, because it means less stress for me, but it does make me sound hopelessly parochial and I'm not. I eat food from many, many lands and hear many languages spoken! I just do it by living in Los Angeles. Now that the kid is old enough to wheel her own luggage, I've told myself sternly that it's time to get over my fear, lock the back door, cowboy up and see the world.


Thank you, Quinn!

5 comments:

  1. my entire family comes over on Monday nights for dinner and Big Bang. So funny

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if you google peristeronic you will find Quinn on the second page!

    Try it at home!

    Peace - Rene

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love SYTYCD! And I know for sure that I cannot dance, but I love learning more about it and watching such talented young people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cathy!

    Here is a link to the specific book I was referring to: http://www.amazon.com/Born-Standing-Up-Comics-Life/dp/1416553657/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1

    He has written several.

    I skimmed it quickly not too long ago but I found it interesting about his family life growing up. He used magic tricks, banjo playing, and comedy to escape his not so good family life . . . mainly concerning his father. I have always admired him . . .

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome! Comments make it all more interesting . . .